Monday, September 8, 2014

New Adventures in New Jersey

Brian and I have packed our bags and headed up north to begin the new journey known as life in Princeton, New Jersey. 

The normally four hour drive was somewhat delayed by a crazy car fire on 95, but we made it to the ivy halls none the worse for wear last Thursday. Monday then saw my first day as the new Communications Director for one of the most impressive pro-life organizations I've ever seen. 

It's been fun and a little nerve wracking to try something new after so many years in radio, but I have to admit, the slower pace has been good for me. My phone gets switched off every night. I wake up at the refreshingly human hour of 7am and have a full 60 minutes to myself before heading out the door. 


The best part, though, is knowing that I am called to be here and that this is exactly where God wants me to be. Before Brian and I packed all my worldly possessions into a few small boxes and drove off into the sunset, our entire group of friends gathered in our living room to pray over this new chapter in our lives. 

I can't tell you what this did for us. To be surrounded by so many people, all in agreement with each other and encouraging one another made my heart sing. I used to think that I didn't have a solid support group in DC. That's no longer true. We used the time to talk to God and really get a grasp on what this meant for us to be called out. I wondered how long this new mission would take to grow in a new place. 

It didn't take long.

Driving home last night, I was thanking God for the chance to spend time with a new friend and wondering if this was the ministry I was called to. It seemed odd to me that drinking beer and putting together furniture from IKEA counted as powerful, mostly because I really enjoyed it. The second I asked Him about it, God flipped the question: "Who says you can't enjoy doing my work?"

And there it was. After two years of dragging myself to meet God's callings, I had reached a new realization. I don't do these things just because God asks it of me anymore. I do it because I want to, because nothing makes me happier than seeing God reflected in someone else's life. It was an answer to prayer, a confirmation that the time of joy is creeping closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment